POPCASH

Friday 2 June 2017

FRENCH OPEN DIARY: BIRTHDAY BOY NADAL NOT PAINTING THE TOWN RED, NO BAKING FOR MUGURUZA

If Rafael Nadal was hoping for a birthday cake from Garbine Muguruza this weekend he is in for a disappointment as cooking is off the menu.


Rafael Nadal said good health is all he wants for his birthday, while Garbine Muguruza is rueing not being able to serve up a treat off court as well as on the clay at the French Open.
Nadal celebrated turning a 31 a day early on Friday, ruthlessly dispatching a shell-shocked Nikoloz Basilashvili 6-0 6-1 6-0 in an hour and a half to reach the fourth round.
It appeared that Nadal was keen to get off Court Philippe Chatrier in order to start celebrating becoming a year older on Saturday, but the legendary Spaniard is keeping it low key in Paris.
Defending champion Muguruza also made it through to the last 16 by defeating Yulia Putintseva and later revealed that baking has not been on the menu in the French capital.
Boris Becker may be given food for thought if he knew he has not been endearing himself to some tennis lovers this week, while Milos Raonic said his business plans have not gone off the boil on another pulsating day at Roland Garros.

BIRTHDAY BOY NADAL NOT PAINTING THE TOWN RED
There was no chance of Basilashvil spoiling Nadal's final day as a 30-year-old as he was blown away by the 'King of Clay'.
Nadal is attempting to make history by becoming the first man to win the same grand slam 10 times in the Open Era and he may well let his hair down if he achieves that, but certainly not before.
And he is not fussed about opening presents this weekend.
"Gifts? I don't really need gifts. I think the only thing that I can really dream of in this life is good health. Good health for myself, for my family, for my friends," he told reporters.
"It's the only thing you don't have control over. Celebrate? Of course. This is Roland Garros. I will try perhaps to go out for dinner with my family. But it's an important week for me here, and I think I do need to remain focused above all."

MUGURUZA NOT GETTING HER JUST DESSERTS 
Muguruza has a penchant for making desserts, but she will not be donning an apron for the time being.
"I still do it [make desserts]. It's tricky, because I have to stay in the house and it has to have equipment. Here I'm in a hotel," said the reigning champion.
"For some tournaments I'd rather stay in a hotel and others [a] house. I know in Wimbledon I will go to the same house. I know the kitchen, and I know that the owner, the woman loves to bake, so I have everything I need for muffins, cakes, and stuff. It's just how we spend our time."

No chance of Nadal getting a cake from his compatriot, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment